Baked Salt & Pepper Chili Chicken Wings (Chinese Takeaway Style)
The Takeaway Secret author, Kenny McGovern, takes us through his Baked Salt & Pepper Chili Chicken Wings recipe. It’s Spicy, salty and utterly delicious…
Ingredients (Serves 2)
500g chicken wings, jointed and wing-tip removed
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green or red pepper, diced
1 medium green chili pepper, finely sliced
1 medium red chili pepper, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chili flakes
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
2 spring onions, sliced
1 teaspoon of salt & pepper seasoning (see below)
dash of toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 190C / 350F / Gas Mark 5.
- Arrange the chicken wings on a wire rack above a baking tray. For easy clean-up, line the baking tray with tin-foil.
- Bake the chicken wings for around 35 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.
- When the chicken wings are almost ready, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the diced onion and green pepper. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add a little more vegetable oil if necessary. Add the green chili, red chili, dried chili flakes, garlic and spring onions. Stir-fry for a further minute.
- Pour the cooked chicken wings into the wok with the other ingredients and mix well. Add the salt & pepper seasoning and continue stirring the mixture until all of the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Finish with a dash of toasted sesame oil and pour the wings into a long foil-tray or serving plate. Serve with prawn crackers.
Salt & Pepper Seasoning Ingredients
4 tablespoons salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground szechuan peppercorns (optional)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice seasoning
- Heat a large wok or frying pan over a high heat.
- Add the salt to the wok and stir regularly over a high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the salt begins to change colour slightly.
- Pour the toasted salt into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled completely, add the ground szechuan peppercorns if desired.
- Add the sugar and 5-spice seasoning.
- Mix thoroughly and store in a sealed container.
You can find many more recipes like this in Kenny McGovern’s ‘More Takeaway Secrets‘, including ideas for Mongolian Beef, Thai Green Curry, Crispy Beef in Sweet Chilli Sauce, Boneless Buffalo Chicken, Madras Curry, BBQ Pulled Pork and many more!