Let’s face it, us Brits are always complaining about the weather and it seems this week is going to be no different! However, there is one exception… usually, we’re moaning about it being too cold, but chances are, during the next seven days, we’ll be protesting that it’s far too hot. You heard right… we’re expecting a heatwave! So, here are some of the sayings you are likely to hear over the course of the week, along with some tips to help you deal with the sweltering heat!
Booked to go on holiday this week? Then we hope you have a lovely time, but you may as well of stayed at home here in the UK, as England may be hotter than the likes of Hawaii and Florida! With temperatures expected to soar as high as 38 degrees, The Met Office has issued an official warning, advising the public to be careful and look out for those who are seen as particularly vulnerable (the very young and the elderly).
So what can you do to ensure you stay nice and cool?
1. Try not to go out during the hottest part of the day (between 11am-3pm)
2. Have a nice cold bath or shower
3. Wear loose clothing, along with a sun hat and a pair of sunglasses
4. Put on some sun tan lotion
5. Drink plenty of water
6. Turn on the air-con!
7. Check up on family and friends to make sure they’re ok
We all known us English people love a moan (especially about the weather), so here are a few phrases we predict you’ll come across this week…
1. ”I’m sweating buckets.”
2. ”It’s so hot I can barely move.”
3. ”Man, we need to get some air in here.”
4. ”I can’t believe the weathers this nice and I’m sitting inside at work.”
5. ”Urgh, this heat literally just sticks to you.”
6. ”It’s absolutely sweltering!”
7. ”I can feel the sweat dripping down my forehead.”
8. ”Anybody got some deodorant?”
9. ”This heat is ridiculous.”
10. ”I’m glad I’m not on holiday this week, we have better weather here.”
11. ”Who needs a flannel?”
12. ”I’m already sunburnt and I’ve only been in the sun five minutes!”
13. ”I need a shower.”
14. ”It feels like I’m abroad!”
Do any of those sayings sound like you? We thought so! We hope you enjoy the heat, but remember… stay safe! If you’re working, you may want to suggest to your boss that ice lollies can help keep his employees cool… and a little bit motivated.
- Subscribe to The Student Pocket Guide for exclusive competitions, deals, discounts, tips and advice!
- Read The Student Pocket Guide.