Now, we know everyone wants to help raise money for charity and usually this is achieved by doing something simple, like sponsored run for example. However, some people really have gone above an beyond in order to raise funds for a worthy course…
As it’s Charity Tuesday, we thought we’d take a look at some of the more bizarre things people have done for charity!
1. For three weeks, Nick Le Souef locked himself in a room with 300 poisonous spiders in order to raise money for, ‘Variety’, a charity which helps children.
2. For a year, Sheena Matheiken wore the same dress, in order to raise money for the Akanksha Foundation. She ended up raising more than $100,000 for her chosen charity.
3. People all over the world filmed themselves chucking ice cold buckets of water over their heads in order to raise money for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Here’s the man who started the phenomenon, Anthony Carbajal doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with TV host, Ellen DeGeneres… that water sure looks cold!
4. In order to raise money for a new café and arts centre, school students decided to play Justin Bieber’s song, ‘Baby’ on repeat until they reached the $1,000 they needed. It only took them three days!
5. Everybody loves the TV show, ‘Friends’, don’t they? Maybe Steve Misiura isn’t so sure now… in order to raise money for charity, he watched 238 episodes of the show in 84 hours… good going!
6. Whilst completing a PHD, in order to raise money for East African playgrounds, Julie Dumont did a handstand every day. The ambitious student raised an impressive $6,000.
7. To raise money for, ‘Because of Ezra’ (a cancer charity), Nick Offerman shaved off his mustache. It was then glued together in order to be given to the winner.
Don’t forget to checkout the charities we have mentioned in this article and let us know if you have ever done anything bizarre for charity.Tweet us @TheSPG
- Subscribe to The Student Pocket Guide for exclusive competitions, deals, discounts, tips and advice!
- Read The Student Pocket Guide.