The quest for the perfect skin is something everyone has tried, to have the flawless and effortless skin we see celebrities sporting in our favourite magazines or on instagram, is something that everyone wants!
I have always struggled with skin problems, whether it be oily, dry or acne, I have had it all! I always had blemishes throughout my teenage years, I had years of my mum telling me “oh don’t worry it will be gone by the time your eighteen”… I’m now twenty and I still struggle from time to time. My skin has phases, it can go from clear to spotty within a matter of seconds. I’m not claiming I have amazing skin, but here are the few ways I have dealt with problem skin over the past years.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that when our skin is dry it needs moisture. However I have found that some moisturises I have used have made me break out, so here are the ones that I have tried and tested and had success with:
- Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser – this moisturiser hydrates your skin without clogging your pores full of oil that other moisturisers contain. This is beyond my favourite moisturiser and I would never go to another moisturiser again.
- The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist – this moisturiser is a mist and feels lightweight on the skin. It smells and feels amazing! You can even use it as a setting spray over makeup too!
My skin is oily on a regular basis, I would apply my foundation and find that by midday I had hardly any left on my face. My top tip for oily skin would be a great foundation, primer and setting spray. Here are the ones I have used and wouldn’t be seen without:
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water – this primer is amazing! It is not heavy that so it doesn’t make your skin feel ‘claggy’ like a lot of primers do. It is lightweight yet surprisingly lasts all day. This is by far by favourite primer and it is the only one that doesn’t make me breakout!
- Smashbox 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation – since I have oily skin I have always been warned off products that are labelled ‘luminzing’ or ‘hydrating’. However I used this foundation after a recommendation from a close friend and I have to say it’s my favourite foundation, I prefer it over big brands such as Nars and Mac, because of its longevity and how it lasts on the skin.
I have always struggled with the dreaded blemishes, going to sleep with clear skin and waking up looking like a dot to dot is something that happens to me on a regular basis. I recently seem to have it under control with some medicated cream that can only be accessed via prescription, however over the years I have used high street products and been very successful:
- Pro Activ Skincare Range – I saw this on an advert on TV and instantly needed it in my life! It is on the expensive side for a student budget but honestly after a few days the improvement of my skin was unbelievable! It has a step by step routine to follow every night and when followed properly it has a drastic improvement.
- Witch Blemish Stick – I have relied on this over the years, after removing makeup I put a small dot of this on any blemishes that I have and by morning they would have drastically decreased in size, if anyone struggles with blemishes this is something everyone needs in their makeup bag!
I hope anyone struggling with skin problems at the moment finds this helpful. I know how it feels to have problem skin, it can knock your confidence drastically, so if this can help even one person I would be happy! Please feel free to leave comments below if you have any other suggestions for problem skin or if you try out any of these products let me know how you get on.
- Subscribe to The Student Pocket Guide for exclusive competitions, deals, discounts, tips and advice!
- Read The Student Pocket Guide.