We caught up with British singer and songwriter, Alex Clare, to discuss his new album ‘Tail of Lions’, his biggest inspirations, and life since his massive hit, ‘Too Close’.
- Hi Alex! How are you? I’m great thanks!
- Can you tell us a little about your new album ‘Tail of Lions?’ Wow, well, it’s straight from my heart to yours, the last couple of years have been pretty crazy for the world we live and also for myself personally. The album reflects my attitudes in music, my relationship with those around me and the insanity that’s going down right now. The main theme, however, is definitely how my relationship with my wife has changed since the honeymoon period. That’s when people really have to knuckle down and start the hard work that goes into making a marriage work long term.
- Would you say ‘Tail of Lions’ differs from your previous work? It’s probably a bit darker in content and melody, with a very heavy electronic vibe running through as opposed to 2014’s Three Hearts which was soul record, or 2011 Lateness Of The Hour which was a mesh of both.
- How has life in the music industry been since your massive hit ‘Too Close’ back in 2011? . How did you cope with the sudden fame that ‘Too Close’ brought you? You know, I had a whole bunch of incredibly brilliant friends who achieved real celebrity for being genuinely brilliant at what they did, some of them are no longer here, others are no longer “famous” . When I became successful, I was very aware of the pitfalls that come with it, and very reluctant to believe my own hype or chase after “fame”. My religious beliefs demand that I stay grounded and wrestle my ego into shape.
- Where did your passion for music come from? I grew up with a lot of music around me, and just fell in love with it at a very young age.
- Who or what is your music influenced by? What I see and hear, feel now or have felt in the past. The world is an amazing place with wonderful people creating wonderful things
- What is your biggest achievement to date? My kids.
- What do you think makes someone “successful” in the music industry? A lot of help from heaven, and either a lot of talent, luck or a whole ton of marketing budget and focus.
- What advice would you give to aspiring musicians? Make music because you love it, not because you love yourself.
- What are you most looking forward to about touring next year? Having the crowds sing along with all there heart and soul.
Alex’s new album, ‘Tail of Lions’ is out now! Check out his stripped back version of ‘Tell Me What You Need’ below.