What to Take to University
Moving out and going to university is an exciting time, and with so much going on in your mind at once it would be easy to get confused. From thinking about all the clothes you want to take, to all the necessities for your kitchen, here is a cleverly devised checklist of all the important items you don’t want to forget!
- Your passport, driver’s license and national insurance number
- TV License (if not provided)
- A CV with any references you have gained
- Bank details
- Your doctors and dentist details along with NHS number
- A diary or calendarto make sure you don’t forget any important events!
- Grab a map of the local area and a guide to what’s going on
If you’re sharing a flat with a few others, it would be a good idea to discuss what kitchen items you could each bring. It wouldn’t be very useful if all 5 of you brought a toastie maker yet no one brought any pans. Maybe just bring the essential items with you on your first day and then discuss which appliances each could bring in the following few days. Also, maybe you could all put some money together and buy anything else needed between you. The majority of the time, appliances will already be provided in the flats but this will be something you need to find out prior to moving in.
- Bottle opener
- Mugs and glasses
- Plates and bowls
- Frying pans and saucepans
- Tin opener
- Chopping board
- Basic cupboard ingredients – coffee, tea, sugar, salt, pepper etc
- Cooking utensils – wooden spoon, spatula, masher
- Plastic boxes suitable for freezing – place any leftover food (spagbol for example) in and freeze for another day’s meal!
- Plastic bowl that is suitable for microwaving
- Sandwich bags
- Tea towels and oven gloves
- Tin foil/cling film
- Washing up liquid, dishcloth and scrubbing brush (for when the washing up actually DOES get done)
- Bath mat to keep the floor dry
- Bath, hand and face towels
- A basket to keep all your shower things in -handy if not in an en suite bedroom!
- Toilet roll
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash
- Shower accessories –soaps and shower gel, shampoo, conditioner
- Hair products
- Nail scissors/clippers
- Razors and shaving gel/foam
- Alarm clock
- Laptop and charger
- Phone charger
- Memory stick – essential for carrying important work!
- Network cable
- Bedside lamp
- TV and DVD/VCR player
- Camera – document your time at university so you can relive the memories later on
- Extension lead
- Notice board/white board – to make a note of important events
- Dictionary and thesaurus
- Lined and A4 paper
- Folders to keep your work in
- Stationary – Pens, pencils, rubbers, highlighters, tippex, ruler, stapler, hole punch
- White Tac – this won’t stain the walls like BluTac would
- Post it notes
- Laundry bag (Keep’s your clothes off the floor and makes it easy to take it to the laundry room….if your parent’s don’t do your washing!)
- Dustpan and brush
- Cleaning products for your flat and your clothes
- Hoover (if you really wanted)
- Bedding set
- Pillows and quilt
- Hot water bottle
- Sleeping bag (if your mates stay over)
- Check with the accommodation company what furniture will be provided.
- Extra storage
- Spare lightbulb
- Any loose change
- Pack of cards
Don’t forget all your clothing any anything you want to add to your room to make it feel a bit more “homey”! By following this list you’re sure not to forget anything important!
- Subscribe to The Student Pocket Guide for exclusive competitions, deals, discounts, tips and advice!
- Read The Student Pocket Guide.