If you struggle with the everyday annoyance of trying to keep oily skin under control, which some people have to deal with their whole life, try some natural home remedies that might prevent the frustration of oily skin which would make your every-day routine easier! Oily skin is so difficult but in some cases it’s something we’re born with, kicking in sometime in our teen years or randomly as we age. Being born with oily skin is the same as having thick hair or what colour eyes you have; you can’t stop those things any more than you can stop oily skin.
Caring for Oily Skin..
Using products with drying or harsh ingredients may make your skin feel so much better or less oily. In the long run, using such ingredients only make matters worse. Here are some of the main things you need to kick out of your routine or avoid:
- Avoid harsh, drying products because they can naturally trigger more oil! Also any irritating ingredients
- Face scrubs (such as those that contain aluminium oxide crystals, walnut shells, fruit pits, or pumice)
- Toners containing known sensitises denatured or SD alcohol, menthol, peppermint and witch hazel
- Facial masks containing fragrant essential oils, BoomBoom essential oils or polyvinyl alcohol.
You could unknowingly make your oil levels worse in case you are using skincare products without paying attention to their ingredients. If you’re using ingredients that are too harsh for your skin type, this triggers an increase in oil production and causes irritation and other skin conditions. Try incorporating organic and gentler products instead of chemically-based harsh cleansers. Honey infused face washes and all-natural goat milk soaps can be better alternatives especially if your skin is oily or sensitive.
Very high in vitamin A and can effectively dry out skin blemishes as well as tighten and tone oily skin.
- Whip one egg white until stiff and apply to skin. Allow it to try and wash off with lukewarm water. Get into a habit of doing this twice a week.
- Whip one egg white and add some lemon juice, preferably from half a lemon and mix well. Apply mixture to your face and leave on for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water. This will tighten skin and soak up any excess oil.
Lemon juice is a good source of citric acid that works like an astringent. It also has antiseptic properties that can lighten skin discolorations. It can also restore the skin’s pH Balance.
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with one-half teaspoon of distilled water. Apply it on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your face with lukewarm water. Lemon juice can dry out your skin, so apply some oil-free moisturiser after you’ve washed the remedy off. Get into a routine of doing this once or twice a day.
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice, one-half tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of milk. Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. If done once or twice daily, this remedy will give you positive results within a week.
Yogurt contains lactic acid with helps exfoliate the skin and absorbs excess oil from the face.
- Apply one tablespoon of plain yogurt over your face and leave for 10 to 15 minutes. Then rinse with cool water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon each of organic yogurt and finely ground oatmeal. Then stir in one teaspoon of warm honey. Apply the mixture on your face. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
Tomatoes are great for oily skin due to their cooling properties. The high content of vitamin C in tomatoes is very helpful for acne-prone skin. Also, the natural oil absorbing acids help get rid of excess oil.
- Cut a tomato in half and rub it on your skin. Allow the juice to soak into your skin for at least 15 minutes. Rinse your skin with cold water, pat it dry and apply a light oil-free moisturiser.
Tip: You can also make a face mask by combining three tablespoons of tomato juice with one tablespoon of honey.
Cucumbers are also very beneficial for oily skin due to their cooling and soothing properties.
- Cut a fresh organic cucumber into thick slices, and rub them thoroughly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon each of cucumber juice and lime juice. Apply this mixture to your skin, let it dry, and then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily. This remedy can also be used to lighten freckles and reduce sunburn also.