We spend a lot of time in our kitchens. Whether you’re in halls or a shared house, the kitchen is one of the most sociable rooms in any home – it’s where meals are prepped, pizzas are shared, and memories are made.

It’s also the room where most fires start.


Did you know…
  • 60% of injuries from fires start in the kitchen.
  • We have been called out to 283 kitchen fires this year!
  • Electronic devices such as vapes are one of the biggest causes of fire in West Yorkshire. It is not safe to leave a vape charging overnight or charging at home when you’re out. It can overheat and start a fire. And if it’s finished, recycle, don’t bin it!
How to avoid a fire in the kitchen
  • NEVER leave cooking unattended.
  • Never leave things like tea towels and cleaning cloths near to, or on top of, your oven or cooking appliances and be very careful when wearing loose clothing around open flames.
  • Never cook while under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication that causes drowsiness – why not get a takeaway instead?
Cooking with oil
  • Take extra care when cooking with oil, as it can easily set alight.
  • When you are cooking with hot oils, do not allow the oil to fill more than one third of a pan.
  • If a pan is smoking excessively, never throw water on it. Turn off the heat if safe to do so, exit the kitchen and call 999.
Don’t forget to test your smoke alarm
  • In the last three years, we have attended 793 fires where a smoke alarm wasn’t working. Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home.
  • Never deactivate them yourself.
  • Your landlord should check these before you move in and give you paperwork to confirm this has been done. If you’re not sure, then it is ok to check with them.

We know this might all sound obvious – but you would be surprised how many fires start this way.

Accidents do happen – in an emergency, remember to get out of your property and call 999!